Frontier Country Presents Awards
OKLAHOMA CITY – Frontier Country Marketing Association presented
awards to 19 members and two media outlets during its 2010 Annual Meeting and
Awards Luncheon at the OKC Farmers Public Market June 24.
For the first time, Frontier Country members were asked to submit entries in 11 award categories recognizing outstanding tourist attractions, exhibitions, events, communities and businesses in central Oklahoma’s promotion organization.
“This year, we asked our membership to send in entries including details regarding their event, attraction, etc. and we brought in outside judges to determine the winners,” said Sherri Rogers, Executive Director of Frontier Country Marketing Association. "We were thrilled by our membership's participation and needless to say, the judges had their work cut out for them. This is one day a year that Frontier Country gets the opportunity to recognize our members for all they do 364 days of the year.”
The following list includes the winners and honorable mentions:
- Outstanding Event: SMG Marketing at the Ford Center for “Star Wars: In Concert”
- Outstanding Event Honorable Mention: Amateur Softball Association for “2009 KFC World Cup of Softball presented by Six Flags”
- Outstanding Attraction: “Whodunit? The Science of Solving Crimes” at Science Museum Oklahoma
- Outstanding Attraction Honorable Mention: Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art
- Outstanding Children’s Attraction/Event Honorable Mention: Harn Homestead Museum
- Outstanding Hospitality: Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse
- Outstanding Sporting Event Honorable Mention: Triathlon Club of OKC for “Route 66 Triathlon”
- Outstanding Tourism Community: City of Yukon for Yukon
- Outstanding Tourism Community Honorable Mention: Midwest City Convention & Visitors Bureau for Midwest City
- Outstanding Website: Science Museum Oklahoma for www.sciencemuseumok.org
- Outstanding Website Honorable Mention: Shawnee Convention & Visitors Bureau for www.visitshawnee.com
- Outstanding Cultural Tourism: Stillwater Convention & Visitors Bureau for “Stillwater – The Original Home of Red Dirt Music”
- Outstanding Cultural Tourism Honorable Mention: Red Earth Inc., for “Red Earth Native American Cultural Festival”
- Outstanding Temporary Exhibition: National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum for “The Guitar: Art, Artists & Artisans”
- Outstanding Outdoor Activity: Stillwater Convention & Visitors Bureau for “Rally in the Streets”
- Outstanding Outdoor Activity Honorable Mention: White Water Bay for “Dive-In Movies”
- Outstanding Children’s Attraction/Event: Children’s Zoo at the Oklahoma City Zoo
- Outstanding Food Festival: National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum for “20th Annual Chuck Wagon Gathering & Children’s Cowboy Festival”
- Outstanding Food Festival Honorable Mention: El Reno Main Street for “El Reno Fried Onion Burger Day Festival”
- Outstanding Sporting Event: Lazy E Arena for “Wrangler Times Event Championship”
Frontier Country also presented awards in the category of Outstanding Media Support which went to Clear Channel Radio and 92.5 KOMA as an honorable mention.
Frontier Country honored board member Jo Ann Keirsey of Frontier City/White Water Bay with the Governor George Nigh Award and Kinlee Farris of the Shawnee Convention & Visitors Bureau with the Ambassador of the Year Award. These honors are presented to people who went out of their way to promote tourism in central Oklahoma and represent what the Lakes and Countries Association in Oklahoma is all about.
“These special honors are designed to recognize those that go the extra mile for our Frontier Country,” said Rogers. “Jo Ann and Kinlee are always asking ‘how can we assist’, ‘let us do this for you’ and they are both so deserving of the awards they received as they play an active part in our organization's success.”
Frontier Country Marketing Association, a 501 c-6 organization, promotes the economic growth of the tourism industry in the 12 central counties of Oklahoma. For more information about Frontier Country or to request free literature, visit oktourism.com or call 800-386-6552.
Note to media: Specific photos of winners are available upon request.
Katie Puckett, Public Relations Manager