FCMA Awards Central Oklahoma Attractions, Events, Communities
OKLAHOMA CITY – Frontier Country Marketing Association presented awards to 17 members and one media outlet during its 2011 Annual Meeting and Awards Luncheon at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum June 23.
Frontier Country members were asked to submit entries in 12 award categories recognizing outstanding tourist attractions, exhibitions, events, communities and businesses in central Oklahoma’s promotion organization.
"The FCMA Annual Awards Luncheon is about recognizing our members and their contributions to tourism in central Oklahoma," said Sherri Rogers, Executive Director of Frontier Country Marketing Association. "We have so many great attractions, events and people who put in many tireless hours for tourism and because of them, visitors can enjoy our state and leave with wonderful memories. It's our way of saying 'thank you' to them."
The following list includes the winners and honorable mentions:
- Outstanding Event: City of Yukon’s Christmas in the Park
- Outstanding Event Honorable Mention: Eskimo Joe’s 35th Anniversary Celebration and Old Germany Restaurant - Choctaw Oktoberfest
- Outstanding Attraction: American Banjo Museum
- Outstanding Attraction Honorable Mention: The Centre Theatre in El Reno
- Outstanding Tourism Community: Norman Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Outstanding Tourism Community Honorable Mention: Guthrie Chamber of Commerce/Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Outstanding Website: Eskimo Joe’s for www.eskimojoes.com
- Outstanding Website Honorable Mention: Shawnee Convention & Visitors Bureau for www.visitshawnee.com mobile website
- Outstanding Cultural Tourism: Old Germany Restaurant - Choctaw Oktoberfest
- Outstanding Cultural Tourism Honorable Mention: City of Yukon’s Chisholm Trail Crawfish Festival
- Outstanding Temporary Exhibition: Oklahoma History Center’s “Pickin’ & Grinnin’: Roy Clark, Hee Haw & Country Humor”
- Outstanding Outdoor Activity: White Water Bay’s Dive-In Movies
- Outstanding Outdoor Activity Honorable Mention: Stillwater’s Legends Weekend
- Outstanding Children’s Attraction/Event: City of Yukon’s Festival of the Child
- Outstanding Hospitality: Sooner Legends Hotel-Restaurant-Bar
- Outstanding Hospitality Honorable Mention: Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse
- Outstanding Food Festival: Old Germany Restaurant - Choctaw Oktoberfest
- Outstanding Food Festival Honorable Mention: Stockyard’s City Main Street’s Wines of the West
- Outstanding Sporting Event: Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon
- Outstanding Sporting Event Honorable Mention: World Cup of Softball at ASA Hall of Fame Complex
- Outstanding New Event/Attraction: Oklahoma City Zoo’s Elephant Habitat
- Outstanding New Event/Attraction Honorable Mention: Stockyard’s City Main Street’s Wines of the West
Frontier Country also presented an award in the category of Outstanding Media Support to OklaVision, a broadband network featuring live weekday newscasts about the people, places and things in Oklahoma.
Frontier Country Marketing Association gave special recognition to Hardy Watkins, former executive director of the Oklahoma Tourism & Recreation Department and also honored the late Gayle Dyer, co-founder of Oklahoma’s An Affair of the Heart.
"These special honors are presented to these two people because they have gone out of their way to promote tourism in central Oklahoma and represent what the Lakes and Countries Association in Oklahoma is all about," said Rogers.
Frontier Country Marketing Association, a 501-c6 organization, promotes the economic growth of the tourism industry in the 12 central counties of Oklahoma. For more information about FCMA or to request free travel guides and brochures, get coupons and see a full calendar of events, visit www.oktourism.com or call (800) 386-6552.